Bone Setting / Alignment
Kalarichikilsa (Combination of Bone setting, Marma points therapy, Muscle release, Hammer therapy )
Kalarichikilsa or Kalari Therapy is a system of medicine based on Ayurveda, specializing in treatment of orthopedic disorders, sports injuries and neuromuscular problems like back pain, spondylosis, arthritis, inborn imperfections of human body etc. It is a form of therapy which evolved from Ayurveda and developed further in a more specific direction, as a result of the needs of a speedy recovery from sports injuries for the warriors of ancient Kerala.
The practitioner, i.e. The Gurukkal does the treatment like Bone setting and massages using specially formulated oils and herbs. He undertakes specialized studies in the science of Marmas (Vital spots) In the human body there are certain spots where a bruise or a blow can cause death or numbness of some organs .These spots numbering to 107 are called the marmas or the vital spots. The knowledge about these marmas plays a major role in the effective practice of Kalari Chikilsa.
A bonesetter is a practitioner of Joint manipulation or Bone setting or Bone Alignment. Before the advent of chiropractors, osteopaths and physical therapists, bonesetters were the main providers of this type of treatment.
Joint manipulation is a type of passive movement of a skeletal joint. It is usually aimed at one or more 'target' synovial joints with the aim of achieving a therapeutic effect.
Manipulation is known by several other names. Historically, general practitioners and orthopedic surgeons have used the term "manipulation". Chiropractors refer to manipulation of a spinal joint as an 'adjustment'.
Joint manipulation is characteristically associated with the production of an audible 'clicking' or 'popping' sound. This sound is believed to be the result of a phenomenon known as cavitations occurring within the synovial fluid of the joint. When a manipulation is performed, the applied force separates the articular surfaces of a fully encapsulated synovial joint. This deforms the joint capsule and intra-articular tissues, which in turn creates a reduction in pressure within the joint cavity. In this low pressure environment, some of the gases that are dissolved in the synovial fluid (which are naturally found in all bodily fluids) leave solution creating a bubble or cavity, which rapidly collapses upon itself, resulting in a 'clicking' sound. The contents of this gas bubble are thought to be mainly carbon dioxide. The effects of this process will remain for a period of time termed the 'refractory period', which can range from a few minutes to more than an hour, while it is slowly reabsorbed back into the synovial fluid. There is some evidence that ligament laxity around the target joint is associated with an increased probability of cavitations.
The clinical effects of joint manipulation have been shown to include:
- Improves joint mobility, function and health.
- Makes tight muscles loose and loose muscles tight and improves the contractibility (thereby strength) of the muscle.
- Decreases degeneration of the joint and connective tissues (arthritis).
- Decreases the on-us-going inflammatory process associated with the subluxation.
- Improves circulation taking stagnant blood out and bringing new blood in.
- Speeds up the recovery process.
- Improves nerve system function and the individual nerve’s ability to carry nerve impulses more efficiently.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Improves individual organ system function (heart, lung, sinuses, digestive, etc).
- Improves a person’s disposition (they’re more FUN to be around).
- Calms a hyperactive mind and energizes a depressed mind.
- Increases energy, vitality and improves sleep.
- Relieves/Improves Prenatal Discomfort
- Decreases the adverse effects of stress.
- Improves athletic performance (for ANY sport).
- Improves Quality of Life by enhancing the enjoyment/fulfillment of a person’s Key Values
- Prevention ability for sickness, disease and pain.
- Improves overall health and wellness for infants and children.
- Improves cognitive ability (ability to THINK more clearly).
- Oh…and it DECREASES musculoskeletal pain.
- Shortened time to recover from acute back sprains (Rand).
- Increase in passive range of motion (ROM).
- Physiological effects upon the central nervous system.
- No alteration of the position of the sacroiliac joint.
Common side effects of spinal manipulative therapy (SMT) are characterized as mild to moderate and may include: local discomfort, headache, tiredness, or radiating discomfort.
Shekelle (1994) summarised the published theories for mechanism(s) of action for how joint manipulation may exert its clinical effects as the following:
- Release of entrapped synovial folds or plica
- Relaxation of hypertonic muscle
- Disruption of articular or periarticular adhesions
- Unbuckling of motion segments that have undergone disproportionate displacement
A Bonesetter use a variety of non-surgical treatments to treat patients with certain types of:
- Lower back pain and/or leg pain (sciatica)
- Neck pain
- Repetitive strains
- Sports injuries
- Car accident injuries
- Arthritic pain.
- Insomnia & Anxiety.
- Frozen Shoulder
About the Therapy (Bone setting, Marma points therapy, Muscle release, Hammer therapy )
In therapy profession from 2007. Nature of Business Service Provider
Master Subhas Mondal, RSM fitness arena, offers the benefits of age old Kalari System of medical treatment to the mass. Kalarichikilsa (Kalari system of medicine) has a history of over 1000 years and was developed as part of Kalarippayat (Kalarippayattu), the martial art form of Kerala. Kalari system combines physical and mental training with holistic healing therapy. Master Subhas Mondal has been famous for treatment of ortho, neuro and muscular diseases such as Arthritis, Spinal pain, Sports injuries, Spondulosis (spondylitis), Rheumatism, Lower back pain and/or leg pain (sciatica), Neck pain, Headaches, Car accident injuries, Insomnia & Anxiety, Fibromyalgia, Frozen Shoulder, Tail bone pain, Male erectile dysfunction, etc. Though popularly known for kalari massage, Master Subhas Mondal offers ayurvedic treatments for different ortho-neuro-muscular disorders.